Saturday, August 19, 2006

Day 8 Part 2.

I set my alarm for six in the morning hoping that the french family would be gone so they would not have to be subjected to my alarm in the sleeping compartment of the train but when I woke to the alarm they were still there, poor guys. I rose early an hour before my train was supposed to arrive at lyon which was a good decision as the train was half an hour early which left me wondering as to what would happen if you stated asleep, would you wake up in Switzerland? In a total mess by this stage I dragged my bike and bags off the train and reassembled my travelling equipment in th estation to begin my next mission which was to find my girls apartment in Lyon. I departed the station and immediatly headed in the wrong direction for about twenty minutes realised my mistake and consulted my map. Here I think is the lesson I want to impart to all who read this. If you are not sure of your direction or your instincts please consult your map or ask for directions it will save you time in the end, no one will mock you for consulting your map or a passer by and you will save time and energy. I have made the mistake several times during my trip, feeling but not knowing and cycling 10Km in the wrong direction is a massive waste of time and energy all for the want of pulling over and opening your bag and looking at the sign posts around you. Sometimes it is necesary to act on impulse but if it is not necessary just accept that you do not know where you are and spend a few minutes by the side of the road reading your map. Anyway. I eventually got my barings and was heading the corect way. after half an hour of cycling one near escape with an early morning delivery truck and my chain coming off again I found myself climbing the steps to my girls apartment (Many very steep steps), even after over one week of cycling I was out of breath and sweating profusly. I reached the top of what was my final hill and rang the bell. A few minutes later I was greated by the most wonderful smile. The end.

No comments: