Tuesday, August 08, 2006

OIL.

I find it weird that I am undertaking this adventure on what I believe is the begining of a global crisis promarily concerning the liquid that drives the world. I mean oil of course. My adventure of course advocates an alternative that does not solve all our problems but is I feel a component that would solve a small percentage of our troubles. I am a man of science and I understrand that without oil there is no plastic, the ferry that will carry me from Ireland to France would not function and without oil this very blog can not exist. We are tied to this fuel, we need it to sustain the standard of living to which we have become accustomed. There are alternatives to the types of plastics we use the amounts and forms of energy we rely on to drive our transport, power our appliances and generally keep us comfortable, I understand this to. We are getting better we have to we have no choice. I think the current trouble in the world be it environmental or man made will act as a sort of catalyst pushing the human race toward a cleaner brighter future. I want to show and prove that cycling is a viable, clean and efficient form of transport. And so tomorrow I plan to take the first steps towards proving this hypothesis and through this blog I wish to highlight my struggle. The transition will be painful, alot of the strife that exists in the world can be traced to the people who want us to believe that oil can be used as it is used today for many years to come. They are the oil industry and the people who are the political wings of the oil industry. They act in ways that cause hurt both to the environment and to individuals and they appear as we can see from their more obvious visual protursions (Politicians and corrupt media) to feel nothing. We need change in both attitude and action. We need to re-evaluate the way we live. Now if you can just get over yout outrage fatigue and maybe your hatred of what you refer to as hippies or crusties the people you see at anti globalisation protests (Those of us who do not fit into the general stereotype or the type of individual you are familliar with) you will see when you look into your hearth that I am right. There is very something wrong with the world and I think it is this, oil is power, power is money, money is a drug. Goodnight.

No comments: