Saturday, August 12, 2006

Day 2, August 10th. Hills.

After I wrote my last message I left my cabin to check out the
entertainment being offered by irish ferries. I arrived at the bar
just in time to catch the magician laid on to keep the kids busy so
their parents could get wasted in relative peace. This was followed by
a kiddies disco the playlist consisted of eurotrash style pop and even
a song which I'm sure was a jingle irish ferries used in an
advertising campaign. This tired the kids out so the parents could
continue their booze cruise. One thing that was a surprise was the
lack of vomit. I thought hundreds of kids eating crisps and drinking
coke and dancing on a boat that swayed through ten or more degrees
every fifteen seconds would of produced lots of this but no there was
non. After the kids a dude came on stage and announced that the
evenings adult entertainment would be commencing shortly. This
consisted of four people, two girls and two guys doing a medly of
condenced eurovision hits a few song from the musical greese followed
by atrociously bad cabaret with some irish dancing thrown in. I
estimate they did fifty songs in an hour with costume stages all
performed on an impossibly small stage. Such a mixture should be
witnessed by no man. In fact I think this sort of thing is only
allowed in international waters along with the filming of pay per view
monkey knife fights. During all this I consumed a large quantity of
alcohol, cigarettes and a cigar so as you can imagine I payed for that
today but after all I am on holiday. Anyway, the day began well I set
off at approximatly eleven am leaving Roscoff bound for Carhaix
Plonger. I followed the d58 towards Morlaix until I saw the turn off
for Plouenan. The traffic was a nightmare the worst I saw all day. I
took the d75 intending to get to st. Thegonnec but I found the road
was only partially finished and the diversion sent me north. When I
discovered this, after about five kilometers I turned back and through
some miracle I found myself in st. Thegonnec but I don't really know
by what route I got there. I then set my sights on Pleyber Christ and
had a short break. At this stage I felt good about my water situation
I was moving fast the land was mostly flat and there wasn't a lot of
wind. This all changed after Pleyber Christ. The d785 is a long
straight busy road that leads to the highest point in Brittany. I must
have sweated several pints before reaching the radio transmitter that
sits on top, the view was wonderful and I had plenty of time to admire
it as I had to stop at least six times to rest on the climb. The wind
had picked up significantly and I was seriously doubting I would reach
my intended stop point. At the top I could look back towards Roscoff
across the gorgeous fertile landscape I had just crossed. But the d785
had sapped my strength and exhausted my water supply, during the two
hours it took to complete. I was moving at no more than six of seven
kilometers an hour at that point which is extremely frustrating when
you are faced with an eighty of ninty kilometer stage. But my luck
changed, I was not greeted by more hills on the other side when I
looked over the top. Instead I coasted for several kilometers all the
way to Huelgoat through beautiful forests with plenty of signs telling
me carhaix was directly ahead but not saying how far. At the end of my
coast I spotted a sign advertising a camp ground, the first I have
seen, I was feeling quite tired at this point and I needed water and
food so I decided to jump at it. I followed the signs they lead me
into a beautiful peaceful forest. The camp was very small only about
ten places to pitch a tent or an camper van but the office was locked
there was a sign on the door but only in french. So I waited for half
an hour or so before I figured I'd be better off finding out what it
said so I took out my french to english dictionary and realized it
instructed me to pitch my tent and settle with them when the office
opens in the morning. So I put up my tent and made myself something to
eat. I'm spending my first night in france in a forest and to tell you
the truth I am feeling a bit lonely. I saw no other cyclists either on
the ferry or on the roads here. My phone has not worked since I
arrived so I can not even let my family know I'm alright, I'm sure
they are worried especially mum. And of course I miss my girl very
much I wish I could share these moments with her. I hope she comes to
visit me soon. I wish that dog would quit howling.

No comments: