Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Day 6 Pt 2. Monday I think.

As this is my day of rest I decided I should just hang at the campsite
all afternoon and cook and eat and generall chill out. So I did, it
was a bit windy so I cooked in the doorway of my tent using my foam
mat as a wind breaker. My on the road cooking skills have greatly
improved over the course of the week I've graduated from pasta and
sauce to smoked salmon and emmental on bread for starter and garlic &
spice potatoe wedges and fried mushrooms with Jambon and garlic bread
on the side for main course. All prepared on a single gas stove. This
requires immaculate timing and delicate planning to accomplish but has
thought me to put a little more effort into preparing my meal times
which when camping takes a lot longer than in the kitchen. But the
benefit is that I get a decent meal very cheaply while reducing the
weight in my saddle bag. The more food I eat and the more gas I use
the lighter the load becomes. I have also been disgarding anything I
find is not useful. So far bug repellant, chain oil the fourth spare
gas cannister, dirty t-shirts and shorts and one or two other bit have
been either used up, binned or past on to other campers. But I did
loose my soap which I am a bit pissed about. My mum finally figured
out how to phone me I'm not sure if this is a good thing as she will
be calling all the time now but I miss her to. I suppose I should
report that thus far I have not had a single puncture a fact I put
down to the Kevlav tyres I have on the bike. Over 300Km now and no
major problems except the chain the other day, I guess it has
stretched a bit and 1st gear is out of the question from now on which
is a pisser as it has been my favourite what with all the hills and
all. Anyway tonight I look foreward to reading the news on my pda and
cracking open the great looking bottle of wine I bought at monoprix
for 3 euro 50 cents and smoking a gauloise or two. The wind has died
down and I think its time to pull out the foam mat and watch the sun
set from the hill on which I'm camped. Till later my friends.

No comments: