Saturday, August 12, 2006

Day 1, August 9th. The Ferry.

I have only been aboard for a few minutes but I have already walked
the length and breath of every accessible deck & I it has to be said
tonights entertainment prospects are looking bleak. The bar resembles
a refugee camp/childrens birthday party. Teams of kids run riot
excited by the fact that this is the first day of their holidays and
probably their first time on a boat. They run from window to window
and diving under tables shouting "we're sinking we're sinking". The
parents seem intent on staking out a good spot in the bar their
luggage in tow, apparently digging in for the night as they haven't
actually booked a cabin and at the same time feeding their already
hyper kids all the sugary drinks they want. A band is setting up
instruments on a stage at the back of the bar but since the audience
is both below the age of ten and above the age of fourty I do not hold
out hope that the music on offer will be aimed outside either of these
demographics. Ill drop in there later, see what its like and maybe
have a pint or two. There is also a restaurant a reading room an
arcade a few shops and maybe a cinema but I can't find where they are
hiding the cinema. So I suppose sleep will be the primary source of
entertainment for the next 18 hours. The boat I would estimate is
about 30 years old maybe more, everything is made from bakelite, vinyl
coated fireproofing and bits of plastic covered metal with rust
visible around most edges, all decoration is faux wood and all
surfaces host numerous safety signs. Everything on deck is steel
covered with multiple layers of paint evident were several layers have
worn away to reveal the flavour of some past era or the stripes a
former owner. My cabin is about 2 meters by 2 meters and is equiped
with a locker approximately 80cm by 1.5 meters which is the
toilet/shower. Yes you heard that correctly I said toilet/shower. The
shower nozel is located almost directly above the toilet seat and
while I was in there earlier I discovered creatures of unknown species
frequenting the drain in the centre of the toilet/shower locker. I
must say that this is without doubt the smallest, filthiest and
funniest form of accomodationtransport I have ever had the privalege
of experiencing. But I do find the hum of the engine the faint smell
of diesil fumes and the way the toilet/shower door swings slowly back
& forth as the boat rolls over the waves sort of calming. I might try
to have a nap now, maybe when I wake everybody will be drunk and this
floating relic will be even funnier.

No comments: