Saturday, August 12, 2006

Day 4

My body immediately voiced its disgust at any movement this morning.
Both my knees now ache but I'm sure its just the tendons streching and
not a cartelidge thing as the pain is equal and just above both knee
joints. I set off from Pontivey after a megre breakfast bound for
Josselin along the canal Nantes a Brest. The lonely planet guide
informed me that this would be a short 50 odd kilometer ride along a
peaceful tree lined waterway. Road vermin had a big smile all the way,
great weather, beautiful scenery, dozens of fellow bikers and not a
hill to be found. I was in heaven. The previous two grueling days had
taken their toll on me but they didn't ruin my ride. Along the way I
saw cute little ecluse houses with picturesque gardens, the owners
usually sitting outside drinking wine, reading, sleeping and drawing.
The canal lead me to Josselin without me ever having to deal with a
car. My girl called me half way for a chat which was also very nice.
After arriving in josselin I located the campsite very quickly, this
one is just outside the town about 2Km so no traffic tonight. I
pitched my tent settled with the english owners (I had a feeling they
were english b4 I met the as all the signs on the site are dual
language and the toilets are real toilets not holes in a shower tray
thingy). After a well deserved shower I hopped on my bike again sore
ass and all and popped into town. I searched around for a restaurant
only to find none of the opened till later so I went in search of the
spar that is rumoured to exist in Josselin but instead found the
patisserie and so bought a big loaf of bread (About a metre long) and
some croissante. After more searching I found the town square (Very
quiet) and a restaurant that was about to start serving and so with
the little french I had I explained that I wanted a table for one and
a pint. The owner then started speaking english and told me he would
send someone out to me in a few minutes. I ordered what I could
understand on the menu and was served up the most gorgeous meal,
sausage, pate, ham and bread and salad for starter and steak with
pepper sauce and frite for the main. My appetite was insatiable which
when I think about it is hardly surprising given that I haven't had a
decent meal in three day. I cannot wait to taste my babys cooking
again so I can put on all the weight I've lost. I sit here now
drinking a cold beer watching the sun set from the hilltop the
campsoite is situated on. A wonderful end to a perfect day. Tomorrow I
head for Vannes, I hear theres hills and I expect pain but I don't
care after today.

No comments: