Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Day 6. Vannes.

So today is my day of rest. After my breakfast of Oatmeal green tea
and bread I decided it was time to see some of the city, and stock up
on supplies. I packed my day bag and hit the road on my velo. I
followed the signs pointed to Centre Ville and discovered that the
campsite was a lot closer to the town than I had previously thought
due to the fact that on my way here the signs directed my the long ass
way maybe three times as far. I was angry as this had prolonged my
agony yesterday but happy that I had discovered a shorter route. The
city of Vannes is great, old school looks and everything you need. I
purchased cheese vegetables and fruit in the organic market and ham,
milk, wine and smoked salmon in the Monoprix and also some gauloise in
the tabac. I've set myself up for an evening of tasty food and drink
while I recouperate in the campsite sitting in the sun. I talked to my
girl earlier to and she seems to be having a good time which makes me
feel good. I'm getting a good kick from watching french families
arrive in loaded cars and set up their camps. The father is usually
stressed to the max after a long drive and the mother is usually
shouting at him for some reason, then they have a huge fight as they
attempt to errect the massive tent they have taken with them. The kids
are by this stage running around fighting each other with the youngest
crying the eldest lending a hand and the middle child causing trouble.
But after an hour or so they are all sitting around the table eating
lunch laughing and joking as their holiday really begins. It seems to
me that camping is a major passtime to the french as in sure it is to
many other european nations much more so than with the Irish. But then
again we don't really get the weather or have the facilities most
other countries have so I suppose it makes sense also there is a
certain stigma attached to caravans in Ireland which should really
make no difference. Shit black clouds approace maybe ill see my first
bit of rain here? Ill let you know how my creative cooking goes later
while I'm hangin in the wash room chargin my fone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vannes is a really beautiful town!! i know, i live in It ;-)

http://nills44.online.fr/index_en.htm