Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Day 5. Hills and Success.

Writing again in a wash room:-/ Hasn't someone figured out that us
campers need the occasional 230V wall socket to charge our phones so
we don't have to watch half naked men shave. Also tonight its
definite, I need to learn more french, I need to be able to ask for
things and understand questions and answers. Maybe ill just get drunk
in the campsite bar instead after all I can order drinks and that's
the most important thing. Ok so I'm in Vannes very lovely but
unexpectedly busy coastal town. I'm happy today but it was not the
journey that made me smile, what makes RV happy is the fact that I
have crossed brittany by bike. After four hours of pain due to wind,
lots of hills and my chain coming off just before I made Vannes and
again before the campsite I saw the sea. As I crested the final hill
after the aerodrome I saw a tiny reflection in the distance this
lifted my heart just enough to ignore my knees, which at this stage
are both pure agony, to make me push through the final few Kilometers.
I think I'm going to rest here tomorrow and pick a destination
tomorrow. Some other highlights todat were seeing tour de france
messages drawn in chalk on the road as I decended from a forest south
of Josselin and seeing a Prayer to Nature with an accompanying Picture
drawn by a child stick to a tree at a rest stop. I feel these few days
have been pretty hard on my body hense the day of rest. At at few
points today I simply ran out of energy and had to stop, a big factor
in this is that I have not had a full nights sleep since I arrived as
the sites here are frequently near roads and it has gotten a lot
colder than I thought it would on more than one night. Anyway I'm
having fun despite the pain and fatigue so bring it on nature just
give me one day of rest first.

No comments: