Monday, June 19, 2006

Discovering Patience

One thing that constantly makes me smirk is how different RV and I are. Sure, we both have some morbid way in which our minds work and connect to others in general (you know the usual misfits, marginal people in society and the like) but we are SO different.


The two of us started doing some preliminary mini projects not so long ago and the first thing I noticed was how slooooow RV can be in making things happen. Look at his sandwiches! It's like a half an hour before the thing gets slapped together and sealed and put in the fridge! It's true, I tend to go through whims like a torpedo, tornado, Wild E. Coyote even, but I have never had to learn such patience!


I admit when we first met, it was under strange circumstances (entirely my fault) but he seemed so open and accepting of me but still he remained a frustrating puzzle I just couldn't solve. It drove me mad each time we met but I persisted because luckily I am one of those intuition, perception driven ladies. He'd show me something intimate but his words and actions just didn't seem to match up. He seemed to be used to the role of listener which I understand but I didn't/don't want that as I honestly felt he had things to say. I also think my wild partying ways emphasized and impaired my judgment so you can imagine my distress when left with sober analysis. What I am saying is, you feel so close to someone but their common actions just aren't showing the love or reception of your ideas/thoughts or more importantly themselves; you feel something more but you're afraid of your blunder cause nothing quantifies what you feel.


After much time spent throughout our long distance romance I grew to be more sure of my instincts and sometimes even forced him to say something close to confession in terms of his feelings towards this or that. It's not a nice thing to do but I was desperate to be closer. The reward of my efforts came this spring. He thanked me one night after a bout of crying and drunken courage...I think I cried in relief and also happiness because I felt so ridiculous for pushing him but couldn't swallow my instinctual feelings. We reconciled in the sweetest, most profound way...It was worth the wait.


So now here we are, closer than ever but with our differences. He's the tortoise, I'm the hare. You know who won... but does it really matter?


- A Nostalgic RV girl
Listening to Coltrane Prestige Recordings

No comments: