Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Art of Not Sleeping

Dawn. 8 Am, 10, 12...unable to close my eyes and fall asleep.


After a three day sleep-fest each lazy afternoon in Marseilles, I was condemned to another torturous cycle of stolen sleep today. I hate it but it has been such a large part of my life that I can't really let it get me down too much. Ah, until the next bout of extreme fatigue hits me, my fingertips, toes will curl in delight!


My trip was pretty interesting, fun and very relaxed. The heat was intense as the humidity of the Sea rippled through me. Humid heat is the worst, it clings to you possessively and likes to remind you just how damn hot it is! I'm not going to complain too much, summer in France is beautiful and there's a wild and sensual vibe that I adore feeling and seeing on people's faces/bodies. It's the dance from now until winter, although, with the crazy climate changes it's hard to say if that'll be true...


I've got loads of new bike sites to sift through and will get some related writing up to start more frequent cycling info here. There is a lot out there which seems to be a mixed blessing right now.


However, all that will come once I can get some proper Zzz's. It's always the same ol, same ol; you come home all buzzing from your latest trip, return home in comfort and your brain is busy with inspiration; your burning from wanting to do too many things at once, everything gets blurred. I can't seem to stop myself from doing multiple things at once, which doesn't help but at least I'm inspired (and tired!).


Sunday so far has proven to be another stormy cocoon. It seems appropriate to my mood. The streets are quiet except for the pounding of the explosive rain and my home filled with the cool breeze of rejuvenation. I love the rain...I like starting over.


I've caught up with RV as we have become so used to communicating daily that even a small time apart (virtually) can feel quite long. We tend to have this pattern of chatting, surfing, playing with our side projects, all while being 'together' for most of the night. For special occasions I may even get a telephone call! Technology sure has made long distance relationships bearable and creative especially when you're forced to satisfy your longings by text.


I can't imagine the both of us abandoning our geeky ways even when together. One thing that comes to mind was this research project posted on BoingBoing a while back about couples who are plugged in, geeky and how they lived together. The first photo you saw was the author/researcher side by side with his then girlfriend with his/her laptops in a small flat in Japan. I thought that was quite similar to how we'll be, for better or worse!


- RV Girl
Listening to TelePopMusik

No comments: